Home Agency Information Informacion En Espanol License Searches Contact Us / Feedback Forms Consumer Information Investigations Licensing & Contractor Info Residential Recovery Fund Related Links NSCB News & Updates Construction Education


New Business Check List

In addition to a contractor's license, licensees may be required to obtain additional licenses, permits or register with other agencies. The following list is provided as a courtesy and effort to assist you in starting your new business. Some of the sites may not be applicable to your type of business, or may not be of interest to you. However, we hope that this information will be a helpful tool as you start your new business:

  • All businesses must register with the Nevada Secretary of State: http://www.nvsilverflume.gov/.
  • Local city and county business licenses are required for the area where you wish to engage in business.
    Click Here, then click on “Counties” and select the appropriate county.
  • Fictitious firm names: Applicants requesting use of a fictitious firm name must file with the County Clerk’s Office.
  • Taxes: State of Nevada, Department of Taxation, information on business taxes: http://tax.state.nv.us
  • Fire Protection: State of Nevada, Fire Marshal, for persons who desire to perform related to fire protection: http://fire.state.nv.us
  • Landscaping: State of Nevada, Department of Agriculture for all landscape contractors, or any licensee who purchases or sells nursery stock: www.agri.state.nv.us
  • Boilers: State of Nevada, Division of Industrial Relations, Occupational Safety & Health, for persons who desire to perform work on boilers: http://dirweb.state.nv.us
  • Elevators: State of Nevada, Division of Industrial Relations, Occupational Safety & Health, for persons who desire to perform work on elevators: http://dirweb.state.nv.us
  • Workers Compensation Insurance: State of Nevada, Division of Industrial Relations, Industrial Insurance requirements, commonly known as worker’s compensation insurance and workplace safety: http://dirweb.state.nv.us
  • HVAC: State of Nevada, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) persons working with refrigerants
  • Mobile / Manufactured Homes: State of Nevada, Division of Manufactured Housing for persons who desire to perform work on manufactured/mobile homes (personal property): http://mhd.state.nv.us
  • Natural Gas or Liquefied Petroleum: L P Gas Board: http://lpg.nv.gov
  • Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA): http://dirweb.state.nv.us
  • Photovoltaic Installer: Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA) for persons who desire to perform photovoltaic installation http://dirweb.state.nv.us
  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): http://ndep.nv.gov
  • Asbestos Removal: County Health Department, Air Quality
  • Water Wells: State of Nevada, Water Resources: http://water.nv.gov
  • State of Nevada, Labor Commission, labor and wage laws and rates: www.laborcommisioner.com
  • Permit Requirements: County & City Building Departments in the geographical region you wish to perform work, should always be consulted regarding permit requirements
  • Better Business Bureau: Southern Nevada (702) 320-4500 or
  • www.vegasbbb.org Northern Nevada (775) 322-0657 or www.renobbb.org
  • Tahoe Area Regional Planning Authority (TRAP): persons who wish to perform work in the Lake Tahoe Basin should always consult the TRAP regarding permit requirements
  • Nevada Small Business Development Center: http://www.nsbdc.org
    (General Business Start Up)
  • UNR Center for Economic Development: http://www.ag.unr.edu/uced
    (Research and Technical Assistance)
  • Management Assistance Partnership (MAP): http://mapnv.com
    (Business and Technical Assistance)
  • Nevada Commission on Economic Development: http://www.expand2nevada.com
    (Administers Incentive Programs forBusinesses Considering Starting or Relocating to Nevada)
  • Southern Nevada Water Authority: www.snwa.com