Home Agency Information Informacion En Espanol License Searches Contact Us / Feedback Forms Consumer Information Investigations Licensing & Contractor Info Residential Recovery Fund Related Links NSCB News & Updates Construction Education


FAQ Central

  • Application FAQ
  • Examination FAQ
  • Bond Requirement FAQ
  • General Requirements FAQ
  • Assistance Programs FAQ
  • Experience Requirements FAQ
  • License Fees FAQ
  • Licensure by Endorsement FAQ
  • Qualifying Party FAQ
  • Advertising FAQ
  • Handyman FAQ
  • Unlicensed Contractors FAQ

Application FAQ

1. Will the Nevada State Contractors Board acknowledge receipt of my application?
No. You may contact the Board staff to obtain verbal acknowledgement. If delivered in person, or by delivery service, please wait one business day after delivery.  If by mail please wait 5 business days after mailing.  Please note the Board offices only receive deliveries between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays.  We have no provision for accepting applications outside regular business hours.
2. How will I know if my application is approved?
When the application is received, if testing is required you will receive a testing authorization form.  Once all the required application information is received, reviewed and approved you will receive a Contingent Letter of Approval indicating any remaining items required such as proof of Workman’s Comp Insurance and posting of the required bond.  Once all requirements are met and a license number is assigned it will appear on our website.  A license wall card and pocket cards will be mailed to you.
3. How will I know if my application is not approved?
If your application can not be approved, you will be notified.
4. If my application is not approved, can I get a refund of the fees?
No.  Application fees are not refundable.
5. Is there an examination requirement for a contractor's license?
Yes. The qualifying party for a contractor's license is required to pass business and trade examinations unless he or she meets the requirements of a waiver.
6. How will I find out if I have to take the examination?
The application instructions and test instructions should assist you in making a decision as to your need to test. If you are still unsure after reading those instructions, you may call the Licensing department at (702) 486-1100 or (775) 688-1141 for assistance.
7. Under what circumstances is a waiver of an examination granted?
Examinations may not be required if the qualifying party meets the following conditions:

  1. He or she is currently the qualifying party for a Nevada Contractors license in good standing in the same classification for which the new license is being requested; or
  2. He or she has been a qualifying party within the past five years for a Nevada Contractors license in good standing in the same classification for which the new license is being requested.
8. Are there any additional circumstances under which a waiver of an examination may be requested?
Trade examinations may be waived as provided in the Licensure by Endorsement section.
9. If I think that I am eligible for a waiver, must I complete the experience section of the application?
Even if you think that you are eligible for a waiver of an examination, you must complete the experience section of the application to document the minimum years of journeyman level experience.

All experience claims must be verifiable by a qualified and responsible person, such as an employer, supervisor, other journeyman, contractor, union representative, building inspector, architect, or engineer. The person verifying your claim must have first hand knowledge of your experience, that is, he or she must have observed the work that you have done.


You are not required to document your experience if any of the following conditions exist:
    1. You are currently the qualifying party for a Nevada Contractors license in good standing in the same classification for which the new license is being requested.
    2. You have been a qualifying party within the past five years for a Nevada Contractors license in good standing in the same classification for which the new license is being requested.
10. Fingerprint Waiver and Background Information

The Fingerprint Background Waiver form must be submitted with the application. Do not submit fingerprints until authorized to do so.

Fingerprints will be used to conduct a background investigation for all officers and qualified individuals included on an applications.

Examination FAQ

1.   How do I apply to take the examination for a contractor's license?
The Nevada State Contractors Board has contracted with PSI licensure:certification to conduct the testing required for a contractor's license. You may view the PSI website for additional information at www.psiexams.com or by calling at 800.733.9267. Please note you may not schedule to take any tests until you receive a notice from the Nevada State Contractors Board authorizing you to take the test. Once you receive your authorization you should contact PSI to schedule the test.
2.   What examination(s) am I required to take and pass?
All Applicants for a license are required to take and pass a Business Management Examination. Some license classifications also require passing a trade exam. Refer to the License Classification Chart for details on License Classification testing requirements.
3.   Where are examinations given?
Tests are given in Las Vegas, Reno and Elko, Nevada.

ELKO, Nevada  225 SILVER ST, SUITE 102 
RENO, Nevada  1755 E PLUMB LANE, SUITE 108 

4.   What does the examination consist of?
There are two parts to the examination. At least one qualifying party must pass the business management examination. In addition, at least one qualifying party must, if required, pass a second test covering the specific trade for which you are applying.
5.   What does the business management test cover?
The business management test contains questions on state and federal laws and questions on the management of construction projects and business and financial management.
6.   What are the trade examinations like and how can I prepare for the exam?
All trade examinations consist of multiple choice questions. A content outline and suggested reference list is available at PSI.
7.   What should I bring to the examination site?
You must provide two forms of identification.  One must be a valid government issued identification that bears your signature and photograph.  The other must have your signature and preprinted legal name. (Birth certificates, social security cards, hunting licenses, etc., will not be accepted.)
Please see the PSI website at www.psiexams.com for more information
8.   How long does the examination take?
You are allowed 2 hours to complete the business management examination. The time allowed for each trade exam is 3 hours, unless otherwise noted in the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin.
9.   How long does it take to get the results of the examination?
Your scores will be computed and given to you the same day you test.
10. What kind of feedback will I receive about how well I performed on my examination?
The score report will indicate "pass" or "fail" with a strength and weakness report, if you failed the exam.
11. If I fail one or both parts of the examination, can I reschedule?
Yes. The score report will give you information about retaking the examination.
12. If I fail to appear for the examination, can I reschedule?
If you miss or are late arriving for your appointment, you will forfeit your examination fee unless you cancel your appointment with PSI at least 2 days before the examination date.
13. May I review the test questions after the examination?
No.  Due to security issues the test questions may not be reviewed.
14. Are there any penalties for disclosing the contents of the examinations?
Any distribution of examination content or materials through any form of reproduction, or oral or written communication, is strictly prohibited and punishable by law.
15. How often are the examinations administered?
Examinations are offered seven (7) days a week in the Las Vegas area. In the Reno area, exams are given every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Exams are also offered in the Elko are on a limited schedule.

You can also take the examination at select sites in Arizona, California, and Utah. Accommodations may also be made which will allow you take an examination in a state other than Nevada, Arizona, California or Utah. These requests can be made by completing an Accommodation Request Form provided by PSI Examination Services.

Bond Requirement FAQ

1. Are there any bond requirements for a contractor's license?

Yes. It is your responsibility to file a Contractor's Bond in the amount required by the Board. The bond may be in the form of a surety bond or a cash deposit. Additional information on bonding requirements is provided in the license application packet.
Surety Bond Form

Residential pool contractors are also required to provide a consumer protection bond. This may be in the form of a Surety Bond or cash deposit in an amount based on the monetary limited placed on the license. 
Pool Bond Requirements
Residential Pool and Spa Bond Form

2. Where can I get a bond?
You may obtain a surety bond from your insurance agent or from another insurance company which is authorized by the Nevada Department of Insurance to operate in Nevada and issue contractors license bonds with an A rating or better.

You may also provide a bond in the form of cash with the Nevada State Contractors Board. You must submit a certified funds check and a completed W-9 form. Checks must be made payable to the Nevada State Contractors Board. A $200 Cash Bond Administration fee is required by cash, or check separate from the cash bond check, at the time you submit the cash bond and each time you renew your license.
3. How long is a bond valid?
The surety bond must be continuous. This means that there is no termination date on the bond. You may be required to pay premiums to the insurance company periodically to keep the bond in force. The bonding company has the right to cancel the bond but must send a notice to you and the Nevada State Contractors Board sixty days prior to the cancellation date. You will have to replace the bond or your license will be suspended.

If your bond is in cash, the agency will retain the bond until two years after the license terminates. If no claims are made against the bond in that time, you may apply to have the bond released to you.
4. New applicant bonding requirements: What will the bond amount be?

All new licenses issued in Nevada must post a bond.  The amount of the bond is based on the monetary limit placed on the bond and the overall financial situation of the applicant.

The minimum bond amount is $1,000 and the maximum amount is $500,000

5. What happens if my bond company cancels my bond?
You must have a bond at all times your license is active.  If you lose your bond your license will be suspended until you obtain a new bond.  The new bond must be dated to the date your old bond was canceled.  As an alternative you may post a cash bond.

General Requirements FAQ

1. Who can apply for a contractor's license?
A business consisting of a sole proprietorship (individual), a partnership, limited liability company, or a corporation may apply for a contractor's license if they have a regularly employed person with the necessary experience, knowledge and skills who serves as the qualifying party. All persons listed on the application must be 18 years of age or older.

A corporation, limited partnership or limited liability company must be registered with the Nevada Secretary of State and in good standing with that agency before submitting an application for a contractor's license. The corporation, limited partnership or limited liability company must remain in good standing in order to retain their contractor's license.
2. Who must be licensed as a contractor?

NRS 624.020  “Contractor” synonymous with “builder”; “contractor” defined.

      1.  “Contractor” is synonymous with “builder.”

      2.  A contractor is any person, except a registered architect or a licensed professional engineer, acting solely in a professional capacity, who in any capacity other than as the employee of another with wages as the sole compensation, undertakes to, offers to undertake to, purports to have the capacity to undertake to, or submits a bid to, or does himself or herself or by or through others, construct, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, project, development or improvement, or to do any part thereof, including the erection of scaffolding or other structures or works in connection therewith. Evidence of the securing of any permit from a governmental agency or the employment of any person on a construction project must be accepted by the Board or any court of this State as prima facie evidence that the person securing that permit or employing any person on a construction project is acting in the capacity of a contractor pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.

      3.  A contractor includes a subcontractor or specialty contractor, but does not include anyone who merely furnishes materials or supplies without fabricating them into, or consuming them in the performance of, the work of a contractor.

      4.  A contractor includes a construction manager who performs management and counseling services on a construction project for a professional fee.

      5.  A contractor does not include an owner of a planned unit development who enters into one or more oral or written agreements with one or more general building contractors or general engineering contractors to construct a work of improvement in the planned unit development if the general building contractors or general engineering contractors are licensed pursuant to this chapter and contract with the owner of the planned unit development to construct the entire work of improvement.

      [2:Art. II:186:1941; A 1955, 378] + [3:Art. II:186:1941; 1931 NCL § 1474.11]—(NRS A 1975, 831; 1977, 319; 1997, 1037; 2001, 1621; 2003, 1899, 2140; 2005, 1223)

Contractors must be properly licensed before submitting bids.
3. What is the Handyman Exemption? Must all contractors be licensed?
Please see NRS 624.031 for exemptions.
4. To whom is the license issued?
A license may be issued to an individual, a partnership, limited liability company or a corporation. The license belongs to the business and not to the qualifying party.

Experience Requirements FAQ

1. What kind of experience is required for a contractor's license?
Credit is given for experience as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee or contractor.
  • A journeyman is a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform the trade without supervision.
  • A foreman or supervisor is a person who has the knowledge and skill of a journeyman and directly supervises physical construction.
  • A contractor is a person who manages the daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision.

Contracting experience will also be considered from currently licensed Nevada contractors, formerly licensed Nevada contractors and the official personnel listed in our records for an Nevada contractor's license.

All experience claims must be verifiable by a qualified and responsible person, such as a homeowner, an employer, a supervisor, other journeymen, a contractor, a union representative, a building inspector, an architect or an engineer.

The person verifying your claim must have first-hand knowledge of your experience, that is, he or she must have observed the work that you have done.

2. Will my current or former employer be contacted?
Current and former employers may be contacted to verify experience.
3. Will anyone know i have applied for a contractors license?
Applications for a Contractors license are public record.
4. How much experience is required?
The trade qualifier must be able to demonstrate the required experience for at least 4 years out of the last 10 years immediately preceding the application date.
5. Are there education requirements for a license?
No. You do not have to meet any educational requirements in order to qualify for a contractor's license.
6. May I substitute any education, technical training, or apprenticeship training for the required experience?
You may receive credit for technical training, apprenticeship training, or education which may be substituted for a portion of the required four years of practical experience.

You must provide written documentation of any training or education claimed in place of experience. Acceptable documentation includes copies of apprenticeship certificates and college transcripts.

License Fees FAQ

1. What are the fees for a contractor's license?
The fees for a contractor's license are the same regardless of the  classification of license for which you are applying. The fee to apply is $300.  If your license is approved the license fee is $600 for a two year license.  Nevada does NOT issue one year licenses.  If you are engaged in residential work you must participate in the Residential Recovery Fund.  The Residential Recovery Fund fee is based on the monetary limit placed on the license. The license fee and Residential Recovery Fund fee is due at the time you license is issued and every two years when your license is renewed.  Fees must be paid in full.  There is no payment plan and the Board does not accept partial payments.
2. How long is a license valid?
A license is issued for two years and must be renewed biennially with the required renewal fees. A renewal notice will be mailed to the address on our records which you have provided.

Licensure by Endorsement FAQ

1. Does Nevada recognize contractor's licenses issued by other states?
No. However, if you have a contractor's license from another state, and you want to contract for work in Nevada, this experience may be acceptable to qualify for a license. In any case you must apply for and be issued a license by the Nevada State Contractors Board.
2. Does Nevada have reciprocity with other states regarding contractor's licenses?
The Nevada State Contractor Board has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the states of Arizona, California and Utah. The Nevada State Contractors Board may waive trade examination requirements for applicants that have qualified a similar license in one of those States.

Under the agreement, Nevada can accept the licensing qualifications of these states. Applicants that meet the reciprocity requirements will be required to pass the Nevada Business Management examination and complete all other requirements for licensing in Nevada.  Nevada does NOT have reciprocity with any State for Electrical, Plumbing, or Fire Protection trades.
3. How can I qualify for this waiver?
Except as noted above, in order to qualify for the trade test waiver option, the applicant shall:

  • Have been licensed in good standing for a period of at least five out of the last seven years;
  • Have taken and passed an equivalent trade exam in California, Utah or Arizona;
  • Show proof, when submitting the application, of licensure in California, Utah or Arizona by providing a license verification form from their home state license board;
  • Successfully pass the business management examination. Nevada retains the option to require the trade examination if it is in the best interests of the public.

Qualifying Party FAQ

1. To whom does the term "qualifying party" refer?
The "qualifying party" means a person who is regularly employed by the licensee and is actively engaged in the classification of work for which the person qualifies in behalf of the licensee.

The qualifying party must have the necessary experience, knowledge and skills to supervise or perform the contracting work.
2. Who can be a qualifying party?
The qualifying party may be the owner of a sole proprietor business, one of the partners of a partnership, one of the members or managers of a limited liability company, one of the officers of a corporation or an employee of the contracting business.
3. What is the qualifying party required to do?
The qualifying person must pass the required examinations for the license.

The qualifying person must have the required years of experience as a journeyman, foreman, supervisor, or contractor in the classification for which he or she is applying.

While engaged as a qualifying party for a licensee, the qualifying party shall not take other employment that would conflict with his duties as qualifying party or conflict with his ability to adequately supervise the work performed by the licensee.
4. Can the same person serve as the qualifying party for more than one license?
A person may serve as the qualifying party for additional licenses if one of the following conditions exists:
  • One Licensee owns of at least twenty-five percent of each licensed entity for which the person acts in a qualifying capacity.
  • The qualifying person owns at least 25% of all licensees that person wishes to qualify for.  If the qualifying person holds a sole proprietor license that person may qualify for one additional license without meeting the ownership requirements.
5. What happens when the qualifying person is no longer associated with a license?
The license holder is required to notify the Nevada State Contractors Board, in writing, within 10 days of the resignation, disassociation or termination of the qualifying person.  Failure to notify the Board in the required time may lead to suspension of the license.  The license can be reinstated once a new qualifier is approved.
6. How long do i have to replace the qualifying person?
You have 30 days to replace the qualifying person. If the qualifying person is not approved by the Board within the 30 days the license is subject to suspension.
The license can be reinstated once the new qualifying person has been approved and meets the requirements.

Advertising FAQ

What is advertising?
Advertising includes but is not limited to, the issuance of a sign, card or device, or the permitting or allowing of any sign or marking on a motor vehicle, in any building, structure, newspaper, magazine or airway transmission, on the internet or in any directory under the listing of “contractor: with or without any limiting qualifications.
Can I advertise my services?
It is unlawful for any person, including a person exempt under the provisions of NRS 624.031, to advertise as a contractor unless the person has a license in the appropriate classification established by the provisions of NRS 624.215 and 624.220.
What must my advertising include?
All advertising by a licensed contractor must include the name of the contractor’s company and the number of the contractor’s license.
Must my advertising have clear and accurate statements?
It is unlawful for a licensed contractor to disseminate, as part of any advertising by the contractor, any false or misleading statement or representation of material fact that is intended, directly or indirectly, to induce another person to use the services of the contractor or to enter into any contract with the contractor or any obligation relating to the contract.

Handyman FAQ

Does the Board issue a “Handyman” license”?
The NSCB does not have a “Handyman” license. All license classifications are defined in the Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) 624.140 through 624.572 inclusive.
What work can be performed without a license?
 If the work to repair or maintain property is less than $1,000.00, including labor and material and does not require a building permit or involve work that is performed by a plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, heating or air conditioning contractor, then a contractor’s license is not required.

Unlicensed Contractors FAQ

What constitutes contracting without a license?
Pursuant to the Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 624.700 It is unlawful for any person or combination of persons to engage in business or act in the capacity of a contractor within this State or submit a bid on a job within this State without having an active license unless that person or combination of persons is exempted from licensure pursuant to NRS 624.031.
Is there a penalty to the homeowner for contracting with an unlicensed contractor?
There is no penalty against the homeowner, however, when dealing with the unlicensed contractor the homeowner accepts the responsibility for compliance with applicable building codes and may be liable for any and all injuries sustained on the homeowners property, by the unlicensed contractor or his employees.
What is the penalty for contracting without a license?
A first offense is punishable as a misdemeanor violation with either a citation being issued or criminal charges filed with the District Attorney’s Office.

A second offense may be punishable as a gross misdemeanor and a third or subsequent offense, may be punishable as a Class E felony.

In addition, the Board may issue an Administrative Citation for contracting without a license and assess a minimum fine of $1,000.00 and not more than $50,000.00.
Is there any other penalty for contracting without a license?
In addition to any other penalty imposed pursuant to NRS 624.700, a person who is convicted of a violation may be required to pay court cost and costs of prosecution, reasonable costs of the investigation and damages to the person caused as a result of the violation, up to the amount of the person’s pecuniary gain from the violation.
Is my contract with an unlicensed contractor a valid contract?
If a person submits a bid or enters into a contract in violation of NRS 624.700(1), the bid or contract shall be deemed “void ab initio”.
If I use an unlicensed contractor am I eligible for the Residential Recovery Fund?
No, the Residential Recovery Fund is only available to homeowners who use the services of properly licensed contractors.
I have been the victim of an Unlicensed Contractor what do I do?
If you have been the victim of an unlicensed contractor, you can obtain a criminal complaint form from the Nevada State Contractors Board website at www.nvcontractorsboard.com.

Complete the form and provide a written statement of the events that took place.

Provide copies of any contracts, receipts, invoices and/or cancelled checks. Once you have the information together, mail it to the appropriate office of the NSCB.
How can I report unlicensed contracting activity?
If you are observing unlicensed activity, report the information to the appropriate office of the NSCB. While you can remain anonymous, it is helpful if you provide a contact number in the event the investigator has questions regarding the unlicensed activity.